latest news

Episode Posts

Episode 32 Post: A (Not So) In Depth Look at Real Life Quidditch
By Daniel

(Note: We're going to try and have a post or two a week that usually relates to an episode we've just had. Be afraid.)

Ok so in Episode 32 Matt was a little perturbed about our reaction to playing Quidditch in the real world, the popular sporting event in the Harry Potter series. We all gave him grief because it's a sport based on a book that involves flying. How can you duplicate that?!

Now truth be told I love Quidditch, it's one of my favorite parts of the movie (didn't read the books, but I've parsed through the wikipedia pages). The idea of flying around and throwing a ball through a hoop with the threat of being knocked out of the sky is awesome.

So back to Matt's discussion. The sixth Quidditch World Cup will be held April 13 and 14 in Kissimee, Florida. Now for a team to compete they need to win their regional, with the Northeast Regional being held in Rhode Island on the 17th and 18th of November. Organizers in Kissimee are expected to see over 2,000 athletes and 20,000 spectators according to an article in the Orlando Sentinel. QWCVI appears to be no joke.

So how is the game played? Besides me, there is no one who has the power to fly, cast spells, and perform other feats of bad assery. So how are Muggles expected to play a game only meant to be participated by wizards such as myself?

Don't fret, the International Quidditch Association (yeah, there's one of those) website have established rules so normal people like you can play the game. Here's a very brief primer, with more detailed rules here.

There are seven on each side, with each player required to run around the pitch with a broom between their legs. There are three chasers, whose objective is to score goals by throwing or kicking the quaffle (a volleyball) through one of the opposing team's hoops, which is worth 10 points. The hoops are defended by the keeper, who are exactly what they sound like. Each team has two beaters, who run around with dodgeballs that are called bludgers. The beaters can peg other beaters or chasers and send them out of gameplay for a short period (the pegged player must run back to their goal before coming back to play). Finally you have the seeker, a player who does their best Harry Potter impression by retrieving the snitch from the snitch runner. The snitch runner has no allegiance to either team, and is encouraged to use whatever means it takes to keep away from the two seekers. If a seeker is able to capture the snitch, the team is awarded 30 points and the match is over.

So the game is a fusion of rugby, soccer, and dodgeball. If you're not down with this, then I can't help you. And watch the damn video! Look at all the fun they're having! Exclamation points!
-----------------